Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Time in France

The most frequently asked question when I returned to the club "Why did you come back here to Georgia/Florida?"

The question wasn't something I never thought about and even a year later sometimes consider.  I was offered other opportunities in other countries and even here at home that were very tempting for a career path and financially.  I spent two years at Osprey before I went to France and I felt during that time that the experience we were providing had changed quite significantly from when I first arrived.  It changed for the better, but we never reached our ultimate goal.  Back then, Adam and I spent many long nights talking and planning to bring the glory back to Osprey that it had in its early years and the reputation that we knew it could garner for the future.   Near the end of my time in France a unique chain of events occurred that allowed the opportunity for me to take control of all Food and Beverage operations at Osprey.  After long talks with Adam and extensive question and answer sessions with Paul, I decided it was time to achieve the success we knew could be possible here at Osprey. 


I don't enjoy all French foods, in fact I find most of it a bit uncomfortable and over the top.  That isn't what I took away from my time in France.  Two years in another country can force change.  I grew up eating meals in a hurry.  There was always something else going on and there seemed to be an urgency to move forward.  We also grew up eating what happened to be in the coupon books that week.  Spaghetti was a regular and pizza on Friday was always something to look forward to.  I am one of four children and my parents worked excessively hard to make sure we had all the opportunities we wanted or needed to succeed.   During my time abroad I realized a different approach to meals.  Two hour lunches weren't uncommon and four hour to six hour dinner marathons were more habitual, even during the week.  For three weeks I lived with a French family in Bordeaux.  It was during this time that I grew to have a true appreciation for their lifestyle.  Hard work has its place.  Daily debate and the distractions that face us each day are unavoidable.  The French realize this to be true and place a road block between daily challenge and gastronomy.  My greatest challenge in coming home is to help us all appreciate our meal times.  Food isn't only nourishment for health, but also an outlet to enjoy our closest friends and family each day. I believe this to be true and hope that with time the club will provide that experience for each of its members.  

-Bill Shaffer, Executive Chef


No comments:

Post a Comment